Monday, November 11, 2013

Batik and Bougainvillea


Justin and I went out for lunch at our favorite Indian restaurant, and I knew I wanted something colorful, rich, detailed, balanced and sophisticated... just like Indian cuisine! And without a doubt, this is the best Indian food I've tried! (Check it out if you live nearby - East India Grill.)



You've seen the blazer before (and of course you remember our funnest ever animals encounter from that day!). I paired the blazer with a long dress (the longest in my wardrobe, indeed) in intense Bougainvillea color. I bought this dress last summer right after I saw it on Tanesha Awasthi (you are probably familiar with her blog Girl with Curves). She showed it in teal and black. I have to admit that I just couldn't resist buying it! Tanesha was so pretty wearing it, so elegant and sensual, yet simple at the same time. I picked the color which I thought would be complimentary of my complexion and personality. I love rich, warm, spicy colors... It was the only time in my life when I bought something after seeing it on a style blogger! (Although, I probably stole an idea or two from my girlfriends back in Russia when we were 15 or 20!) In fact, it might be the only one thing I ever bought for myself at Old Navy too.



Many years ago, when I was leaving Russia for the new continent, I brought a few unique hand made pieces, one of which was this amazing batik scarf. Unfortunately, I don't know the name of the talented artist who painted it. All I can tell you is that I purchased it in a souvenir shop in Krasnoyarsk (Siberia) with a few similar pieces. This one is one of my favorites. Such a delicate design and colors... I don't wear it a lot since pinks are typically not my colors, but it complimented my bougainvillea dress and "oatmeal" jacket.

Batik is a wax resistant dyeing technique for fabric, and traditionally is thought to be an ancient art form originating in Indonesia. It started spreading through Europe in XX century. More of the history of batik here.



Maxi dress by Old Navy. Blazer and jewelry by Chico's. Belt via Target. Batik - hand made, from Russia. Boots by Sofft.

No comments:

Post a Comment