Monday, December 29, 2014

Blue Sky, Blue Skirt, New Chapter


Blue sky is not a very frequent guest here in Seattle during our rainy season, and blue color is not a very frequent guest in my closet. It might sound strange, but I have never been a big fan of blue. Though lately, in the last couple of years, I find myself much more drawn to blue, and especially to the sky blue hue like this thrifted skirt from Goodwill.



I love when black plays generously - I love how it highlights any color, and here it gives the blue the right of way. But of course I couldn't resist mixing in a few other colors too. 


The boots are old, I bought them at least 8 or maybe 9 years ago. They are by Pikolinos, are incredibly soft and comfy, with lovely hand stitched details. And their rich rusty brown really compliments both black and sky blue, don't you think?


It's sometimes considered not the best to combine strong rich colors with pastels, but I disagree. I love the combination of saturated and pale hues in this 1960s vinyl carpet bag which is another antique mall find. And again, well played, color black! I love how the bag picks up the blue from my skirt.



The flirty wind brought us colder temperatures and the very desirable blue sky just in time for our mini-break - a trip which I am really looking forward to. We are leaving tomorrow, and I won't have Internet access for a few days, but I wanted to share this dreamy outfit with you and wish you all, my friends and readers, a very happy New Year! It's the biggest holiday in my home country, Russia. I don't remember anyone ever writing resolutions when I lived there, but always remember hopes and dreams this holiday brings about... My only resolution for 2014 was to become a happier self. And I can honestly say that I did. The journey is not completed yet, but I am in no hurry. The soul will take as much time as it needs to recover and blossom fully. Wounds heal when we really want them to heal. Joy is found inside of us when we really want to find it. It was a good year - very challenging in the beginning, a bit confusing in the middle, but rewarding in the end. My dearest people are by my side, we all are relatively healthy and sharing life together, traveling together, discovering together. And what's the most important, we love and care deeply for one another. I continue learning and writing more freely. I am full of ideas. And I met so many wonderful, vibrant, warm, creative and genuine people thanks to blogging. Yes, it was a good year! 


Here is to another year of blogging, finding inspirations all around, meeting fine people and becoming true friends. Happy New Year! See you in 2015!


The blue sky turned this deep fiery color in the evening as we were coming back home from running errands (there are some home improvement projects going on) - I took a few shots as we were driving on the highway.

Blue skirt - thrifted via Goodwill
Ruana (wrap) - Chico's 2 or 3 years ago
Hat - Lane Bryant - sale this year
1960s purse - antique mall find
Boots - Pikolinos (old)
Earrings - Chico's
Ring - boutique find
Golden necklace - family heirloom 

I am taking my blue skirt to the last Visible Monday in 2014. Come as you are and celebrate with us!

***

Happy New Year to everybody, and please join Sheila's Shoe Shine and show us your shoes,
and Judith's Hat Attack and show us your hat or any headpiece (this is my very first time joining Hat Attack - I am only starting getting into hats again now, after a looooong break). 

22 comments:

  1. Happy New Year Natalia. Its been lovely knowing you through blogging and I am looking forward to read more of your posts in 2015. Love your outfit. I have recently realised that blue is my favorite color thanks to blogging. Hope you have a lovely time away with your family and see you in 2015.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is a time and place for each colour in our lives, and that's what these sudden colour crushes are: at that point you need a certain colour. Maybe right now you need a little blue... I used to wear a lot of red for a long time, but then it was replaced by blue, and there are times when I feel like I really need to have something in green. But my friends have told me that if I ever start wearing beige they'll have me committed to a mental institution, not sure how to take that... Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey boho chick! :-)))
    love this - the look and your reflections. i wish you a wonderful 2015 with lots of creativity and love!!!
    instead of words i want to hug you and kiss you on your beautiful cheeks!
    xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a true Bohemian outfit, Natalia! Grabbing what takes your eye and wearing it together in one outfit just because you can. Perfection!
    Wishing you every happiness for 2015. Making friends with you in 2014 was definitely one of the highlights. xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I truly love your resolution, to be a happier person. "I have chosen happiness" said Voltaire - one of my favorite, and much-needed, quotes. You look fab in your new blue skirt and colorful jewels! Thanks for linking up to Visible Monday and happy new year, xox.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your pretty outfit is something of 19th century adventure. Perhaps a husband to find travel to faraway continent (okay, you have it already) ... that's what i often rea in old books -
    Have a great time in Russia

    Я люблю тебя, Россия,
    Дорогая наша Русь.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U82_2aTYRfo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now that is a resolution I can get on board with. I'm stealing your idea! Thanks : )

    Those boots are lovely and go so well with the bag and hat. I love this boho style for you.

    All the very best in 2015...who knows...maybe we will finally meet : )

    bisous
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  8. Enjoy your trip Natalia! This look has, "I'm an artist," written all over it. Clever, indeed. I love the black against the sky blue and your complexion.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Enjoy your trip with your family, you have the right people by your side as we go into the new year. Thank you for sharing your outfits, your trips and your thoughts during 2014. I have loved reading your posts, have learnt some useful stuff and have appreciated your thoughtful comments on my blog. I never realised I would connect with such lovely people when I stumbled into blogging almost a year ago now. Wishing you and your family good health and contentment in 2015 dearest Natalia xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dearest Natalia...firstly, that sunset photo is absolutely breathtaking!! What a great capture!! And your eclectic outfit is the perfect example of how contrasting pieces can be combined to wonderful effect. The sturdier boots with the softly flowing midi skirt (I love blue and brown together!)...that fantastic carpet bag...the pop of those colourful beaded earrings against your belted black wrap!! It just all works together!! P.S. One of my favourite things about blogging is definitely the connections I've been able to make with kind-hearted and stylish people from around the world; somehow, I didn't anticipate that!! Have a very Happy New Year and enjoy your little getaway...your online friends will be waiting for you when you get back!! :)

    www.StyleIsMyPudding.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Наташа, выглядишь стильно!!! Хочу тебя поздравить с новым годом! Пусть все твои желания исполнятся! Счастья тебе в новом 2015! И чтобы у тебя легко создавалось много много красивых образов! (это я про одежку).Обнимаю! И хочу сказать, что рада нашему знакомству!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Another beautiful skirt from Goodwill. Love the color combo, you look great. Happy 2015!

    Jasmine xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think you could wear absolutely any colour combination and by sheer natural talent and force of nature, make it look fabulous, Natalia! As it is, I do agree that black allows other colours to shine, and I am glad you are increasingly drawn to blue because you look beautiful in it! As always, I want to steal that fantastic bag too...
    Yes, choosing happiness is a very good idea. The alternative is most unappealing! Have a wonderful break with your family, and I wish you all a very happy new year. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. ohhh, you're right, love how black color makes other colors stan up!!, and love your outfit, such a beautiful color combo!!, and such pretty accessories!!
    Have a nice holiday, and wish you a fabulous new year!! see you soon!
    besos

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wishing you and your family a joyous New Year, enjoy your special time together. So glad you found happiness in 2014 may that path continue and your journey of growth reveals true joy.I can only say that meeting you has been a great pleasure, your wonderful writing always inspiring.
    Your outfits show your artistic expression and I can see a growth in your confidence and this one is no exception.
    Look forward to a wonderful New Year. Stay safe and happy, my dear. xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Rockin' the black and blue! I completely agree ... the pale blues just don't inspire me, usually, but black and blue are really satisfying together, especially as you've styled it with both the bold contrasts and subtle matching hues in shoe and bag.
    I hope you're spending your New Year's Day just as your heart desires!

    ReplyDelete
  17. A very harmonious look, Natalia! All the colours and the bag's print work really nice together. Beautiful photographs, love the one where the wind's trying to blow away your hat. Happy New Year to you and your family, Natalia.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Dearest Natalia, how fitting it is that your 2014 resolution was simply to become a happier person. I am so glad you have achieved that and that you know it is always a journey, never a destination. Be happy today and intend to be happy tomorrow. You are a mix master if ever there was one and I am always inspired by your willingness to experiment, try something new and break the rules. How true it is that a pattern in a textile can remind us to break those so called rules by mixing colours we think are not supposed to work together. I am not at all surprised that sky blue works for you because it is so much part of you, your eyes and your spirit, an open, expansive sky blue.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love this look very much! And you are absolutely right about black making the perfect canvas for any other colour - those blues look amazing against it!
    S Novim Godom! x

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love your ensemble and beautiful mix of colors. Your writing is always exquisite. I see that you are an antique mall fan; I've found many a fine piece at various antique malls. Your hat tops off your outfit to perfection. Thank you for sharing with Hat Attack!

    ReplyDelete
  21. So fabulous, my dear Natalia
    See you tomorrow sharing your style
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ηappy New Year my friend! How I love this bag of yours, for me it makes the whole outfit.So, cheers to a happier and healthier 2015, we'll be commenting a lot!!! enjoy your trip.

    ReplyDelete