Sunday, July 23, 2017

Indian Spice, American Revolution and Soviet Clown


I don't wear boho often, but I have a few pieces and love playing with them from time to time. Neither the blouse nor the skirt are new to my closet (showed previously HERE and HERE), but until just recently, they sort of lived in the same town, but on different streets, and didn't have a chance to cross each other's paths. Then they bumped into each other during a town meeting so to speak, went on a date once, and what do you know - pretty much immediately decided to get married. Kids! 



When I look at this combination now, it seems so obvious that the two pieces belong to one another, that at first I was surprised - how could I not see it before? But I figured out why. The thrifted Indian-manufactured skirt is made of extra light cotton and perfect for very hot summer days, while the mustard yellow top with its long sleeves goes rather well with Fall. They just needed a warm, but mild day to meet - a day "in between" their usual seasons. I added new (bought on clearance) accessories, which solved one little "flaw" of this top. While I really really love mustard yellow, it isn't the best hue next to my face. And I think it's a good trick to remember: a bright and lightweight summer necklace adds a color, sort of playing a "scarf role" on hot days.


It was a perfect Indian spice themed outfit, and guess who was already wearing Indian spice colors that day? The Real Adventure Man! He just got himself some nice summer pieces at Cabela's! We went to dinner at a lovely local Indian restaurant, watched a movie later in the evening, and went thrifting earlier in the day. 


My passion for treasure hunting at antique malls and Goodwill comes and goes, but lately I got it bad! So bad! Here are just a few recent finds that I thought would be interesting to share with you. I have a soft spot for vintage tablecloths and tea towels, and this lovely tablecloth is the latest addition to my little collection. Justin and I guess (not being experts on vintage) that it was made in the mid-seventies for the US Bicentennial (1976). There is no label on it, other than the letters RS in a heart in one of pictures (perhaps a designer's initials?). It's in excellent condition, and I know I'll use it a lot! (I use all of my vintage tablecloths.) It's a green tablecloths with a border made of circles with sweet individual designs in each. Colors are perfect for Christmas too - I am not a big fan of traditional red and green Christmas colors (for my home), but I think this will make a cozy vintage Christmas.

UPDATE:

Thank you, Jan, for your comment and the link about HEX SIGN! Yes, this tablecloth has a Pennsylvania Dutch design! I even found the exact same tablecloth on ebay for $44 (I paid $15 for mine, perfect condition).




The beaded purse isn't vintage, but it's lovely - richly decorated, very well made, great condition and gorgeous design. (The Tiffany style table lamp was also a thrift find a couple of months ago.)



The glasses are genuine vintage, most probably from the 1970s, but made from earlier molds. I always wanted to have such glasses for our home, and I see them from time to time in antique malls. But it seems this gorgeous collection (10 pieces) of green, yellow and amber glasses was waiting for me at one of our Goodwill stores, only $1.99 per glass, except for the little one, which was 99 cents. Justin remembers that his grandma used to have some of these (Georgian style tumbler on far right) which makes them even more special to us.



And the last find for today. This heartwarming little wooden sculpture called Sunny Clown is Oleg Popov, an instantly recognizable, beloved Soviet era clown. I collect Russian and Soviet folk art and souvenirs (not clowns - this is the only one and very special!), and this is a fine addition - something rare, unique, personal, bringing back my childhood memories. The date on the label states 1977. I was only 4 then, and loved watching the Sunday morning children's TV show called Budilnik ("alarm clock") where Oleg Popov appeared frequently. When later my brother said he got a classmate whose name was Oleg Popov, I thought he was joking at first, and then I asked, "Is he funny?" :)


Blouse, skirt (thrifted) - remixed from my closet.
Hat, glasses, belt - old
African basket from a local market.
Cinnabar ring by California artist via Chaos NY
Necklace, earrings - Chico's on sale
Sandals - Dansko via Nordstrom Rack

Justin's outfit - Cabela's summer sale (great colors for shirts!)

Linking with Visible Monday


Find my books at
in Seattle, Tacoma, Federal Way, Washington

NEW BOOK is coming in 2017!

Connect on
INSTAGRAM     FACEBOOK     YOUTUBE

* * *

28 comments:

  1. Great finds Natalia. I love the bag and table cloth they are beautiful. You outfit is beautiful and trendy too. I have been noticing the basket bag a lot lately. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Elsie, you are so kind! Baskets are fabulous! <3

      Delete
  2. You should wear boho more often it looks fantastic on you. I like the whole outfit and your basket is gorgeous. I'd be pinching it off you if you were nearer haha
    Lynn x

    ReplyDelete
  3. a marriage made in heaven!! :-D
    love you in boho! so cute and chic!! <3 <3 <3
    genius is the trick with the necklace - the necklace itself has a fantastic design - plus the matching earrings - gorgeous! and the matching husband for the matching dinner - hihi!! (we here are well known für such matchy-matchy games!!!) and - you could wear that skirt with an underskirt for early autumn..... (wich i do often with some light dresses and skirts)
    fab finds at the 2.hand-shops - great glassware. and the bag - wow!! the monogram on the tablecloth could be from a restaurant - maybe specialized in roasted turkey... ;-)
    the oleg p. figurine brings me some childhood memories too - such a genius clown - so full of love!!!
    big hugses - wrapped in a big pink bow.... xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you enjoyed this post, Beate! I found out (thanks to Jan, see her comment below) what design it it - will update the post!

      I've been thinking about layering skirts for creating a volume lately - how did you know? :) I don't have a proper underskirt, maybe I need to look into it! Great idea for Fall!

      Lots of love!

      Delete
    2. ha - eine deutsche tischdecke :-D
      xxxx

      Delete
  4. Great thrifting treasures, Natalia! Love the embroidered purse - and your very cool boho outfit as well. Thanks for linking, xo

    -Patti
    http://notdeadyetstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. See, that is why I love antique malls and thrift shops! The treasures one finds are one of a kind! I love all of yours: the tablecloth and purse are just divine, and I really love those glasses. Oleg Popov was a great find too: he is indeed instantly recognizable. Imagine being called Oleg Popov and not being funny ;-) You are looking lovely in your boho outfit. I'm so glad the skirt and blouse got married and the necklace is a very clever way to divert the mustard away from your face. And oh my, aren't you two looking coordinated? Lots of love and have a great week xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, I totally get it, Ann! I don't write about my finds much, but I definitely share this passion. I got the thrifting bug about 15 years ago when I first arrived to the US. (In Siberia where I am from, such shops aren't common.) Many things in our home are secondhand, vintage, thrifted... or our own old stuff. :) Thrifting is a great tool for collectors, so many unique items we can find!

      <3

      Delete
    2. Oh I forgot to mention that I am pleasantly surprised that you and Beate know Oleg Popov! He was a big deal to us, but I don't know whether he is widely known in other countries or not. He lived in Germany since 1991. He passed away last November, 2016, at the age of 86, while he was still working - amazing person!

      <3

      Delete
  6. I love your skirt, if I had it I'd be tempted to try it with shades of lavender!
    The tablecloth is great, it has such a Pennsylvania Dutch look!
    We are so lucky with our PNW summers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jan! Are you near Seattle/Tacoma? :) Always such a pleasure to meet local folks!

      I think this skirt will not stop flirting with other tops - of all colors, I'm afraid! :) I agree with you - lavender would be fantastic!

      And thank you for the tip - yes, it absolutely IS Pennsylvania Dutch design! I even found the exact same tablecloth on ebay!!!

      <3

      Delete
    2. We are in Bellingham, walking distance to Fairhaven! Moved from Illinois 15 years ago and England long before that!

      I love the Pennsylvania Dutch simple designs. Here's a link to some background which readers might enjoy
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hex_sign
      I know the pineapple was a symbol for Welcome/Hospitality. It came about when sailors, who'd been gone at sea for several months or more, returned home with pineapples ( exotic in the old days) and people would share the pineapples with guests. You will enjoy that tablecloth for sure!

      Delete
    3. Bellingham is such a lovely town, and I think we've been to Fairhaven once (maybe drove just pass your home :)! What an interesting information! I saw the pineapple pattern in historical designs, but I wasn't aware of the meaning. Thank you for sharing the information with us, Jan!! Lots of love!

      Delete
  7. Oh Natalia all ist sooo amazing. Please put this skirt and shirt in a box and send it to Tina Kersting, Foehrenhof........ :)) You both look great in these spice colours und your thrifted shop finds are great. The tablecloth look like german folklore. My mother in law have some.This beaded purse is very cute, all is great. You are a "Glückskind" :)
    Much love and a veeery big hug, Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will, my dear! Should I pack Justin's outfit for Goga too? ;)
      Lots of love!!

      Delete
  8. Natalia, those spice colours are just perfect on you and the skirt and blouse were just made for each other. Isn't it fun finding treasures at thrift and secondhand shops and you have certainly done just that. I must say your Real Adventure Man is looking ready for his next expedition. Have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a fabulous outfit, I'd happily wear every bit of it. you and Justin both look wonderful in your saffron hues!
    Loved my friend Jan's link. Pineapples are very trendy at the moment but first became fashionable in the the UK during the Georgian era, they crop up in motifs and carvings in many of the National Trust properties we visit.
    Love all your secondhand finds, it really is addictive, isn't it? xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too remember seeing the pineapple design in the books of historical homes or traditional interiors! It was fun to learn that bit of information. Thanks, Vix! <3

      Delete
  10. you look fabulous in this boho style!, and such a lovely color combo!, really that skirt and blouse are made one for each other! and all those awesome accessories!, you really rock! So wise to wear a colorful necklace when you want to wear a not-so-flattering color near your face: I've that same problem with mustard yellow!

    Great secondhand finds, it's always touching when you find something that brings some childhood memories.
    besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you enjoyed my colorful combo, my dearest! <3

      Delete
  11. Dearest Natalia,
    the Boho style is perfect for you - shirt and skirt are a great couple and certainly have a wonderful marriage! The trick with the chain is awesome and the chain itself is a nice one! How attentive of your husband that he adapts to you in style and colors ;-) Oh, and you discovered wonderful treasures - the tablecloth is really nice and fits well for Christmas. Fantastic glasses, a sweet bag - and not least the clown! We know Oleg Popov even in Austria, he was world-famous!
    Lots of hugs, Traude

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words, my dear Traude! :) :) :)

      Delete
  12. Gorgeous saffron blouse and lovely printed skirt , so pretty together!
    Sounds like the perfect day, thrfiting,dinner out,- I also love Indian food-and then a movie.
    Love your thrifted finds, gorgeous bag, and tablecloth. I also love tea towels, espiclaly ones with needlepoint!
    That lamp , too, just exquisite!
    Xx, Elle
    http://www.theellediaries.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am thrilled that you enjoyed this post, my dear! <3

      Delete