Wednesday, November 1, 2017

Modish Matrons #17: Art Deco


I am so happy to welcome friends to the new Modish Matrons party!
In November, the theme is inspired by my writer's imagination...and my writer's closet. I've chosen Art Deco, one of the most fascinating styles of visual arts that became truly international and dominated the world of art, design, fashion, jewelry, cars, trains, ocean liners, and of course architecture - for decades between the two world wars. I simply could not resist picking this theme for our Modish Matrons improvisations! I hope you are as eager as I am to read my beautiful co-hosts BEATE's and TINA's posts and see their visual/wearable interpretations of the theme.


If you would like to learn more about Art Deco, this Wikipedia article is a good way to start. But I am sure there are many not just articles and websites, but serious books written about it, so we can educate ourselves as much or as little as our hearts desire. I do not claim to be an expert of any sort, I am simply an admirer, and I learn mostly intuitively, but I will share a couple of realizations I had while working on this theme. Art Deco was born from the desire to be modern (right after the fanciful Victorian era) and, as any movement, includes a few styles which sometimes were pointed in completely opposite directions. So what I realized was, I needed to choose only some features to represent this style in my outfit, otherwise I would end up with a visual cacophony, which is against the very heart and soul of Art Deco, a clean, symmetrical, streamlined style made of carefully selected rich materials and masterfully crafted details. I will leave it to you to decide whether I succeeded or not, but I certainly had great times creating. And for my major inspiration I picked, perhaps unexpectedly...


...THE ART DECO ARCHITECTURAL LINES AND SHAPES!



The two photos above and three below are of the Cincinnati Museum Center at Union Terminal (HERE), one of my favorite buildings of the Midwest, the entire US and beyond. The streamlined shapes and geometric designs of the building, beautiful rich stone, carved details, colorful mural of the interior (depicting local history) are some of the iconic, recognizable features of the style. The Union Terminal was built in 1933, as a passenger railroad station. It had been abandoned for a while, getting into the hands of different organizations which couldn't find the right purpose for this beauty, until finally it got rebuilt and reborn as a thriving and beloved cultural institution of Cincinnati, Ohio (opened in 1990). I enjoyed visiting this gorgeous building countless times in a few short years that we spent in Cinti, and little Anya practically grew up in the Children's Museum and Natural History Museum which found their home at Union Terminal.




So here you have it, my outfit was truly inspired by architectural beauty of this building more than anything else. No, I was not composing this outfit after the building - an inspiration works in less obvious ways I think. I just know that all the time spent in there many years ago, sort of preformed my interest in Art Deco, impacted my inner world, so when I was ready to learn more, I started building my understanding of this incredible style on that platform. That is probably why when I thought about my Art Deco inspired outfit, flapper dresses were not at all what came to my mind, whether it makes any sense or not.



Playing with the idea of a streamlined design, I thought of my favorite jumpsuit pretty much immediately - I've always thought that the inspiration behind it was Art Deco (you can see more outfits with this number in these posts: earlier in 2017, in 2016, in 2015). It took me a while to figure out the warm layer, but I think it couldn't be better than this secondhand cape (more outfits with it: earlier in 2017, in 2016). 




The only two items I haven't shown on the blog before are the pair of patent leather shoes (a Goodwill find earlier this year, $7 or so), and the vintage velvet purse, in a perfect condition (a recent antique mall find, $11). The little purse is so charming and in a perfect condition, I know it'll have many outings. And aren't these shoes fun? They are a bit too big for me, and don't think I will wear them often, but sometimes with a playful outfit, why not?



The striking piece above takes my Art Deco inspired outfit to a new, dare I say more authentic level - a gift from lovely Elle. It looked a bit lonely by itself, so I used a long pearl necklace to sort of give it a nice frame. The rest of my jewelry are old pieces, remixed many times, some are genuine, and some are fake. (But even fake pearls, like this long necklace, illuminate skin beautifully!)


I hope you enjoyed this little play as much as I did! 
Got inspired? Join us! We're never too matronly to play!

Jumpsuit - Chico's (old)
Cape, shoes, vintage purse - secondhand
Jewelry - gifts from my husband and old friends

* * *


22 comments:

  1. oh Natalia, this is such a stunning style. You look fabulous my dear friend. Can you imqgine that our wlan is crashed and I stand at the open window in my bedroom to have mobile net for looking your post? Your post is stunning and every minute worth to stand here :)
    Huuuge hug and much love Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dear, I appreciate your efforts! Do not risk your health though! Be safe! :)
      Here is to another fun party!!!
      Lots of love!

      Delete
  2. totally fabulous!!!
    i love every detail of the ensemble! the jumpsuit with its geometrical/architectural lines, the trenchcoat-inspired cape - what says more 30s then a trench?! -, and of cause the platforms on your feet - super cool! -, and the little antique purse and the jewelry of a silent movie star........
    and - instinctively - you formed inspiration to design like we were told to do it at fashion design school!! you describe exactly the way that one has to go to NOT end up with a costume!! chapeau - my talented dear!!!
    the cincinnati museum and former railway station is a total stunner!!! very impressive!!
    hugest hugses & thank you for throwing that gorgeous party!!! xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, my dearest! Such a high praise from a fashion professional!!
      It was an inspiration, though it did not come immediately - but I learned recently that it is typical for highly creative people to procrastinate, so it forces their creativity at the end - sounds familiar. :)
      Thank you for sharing this wonderful journey with me!
      Lots of love!

      Delete
  3. How refreshing to find 'dressing up' in this season of silly costumes! This is the second blog I've read this morning that shows modish, chic women. You wear that cape so well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't often comment here, but I just wanted to say that I REALLY enjoy this look ... it was fun to capture with the fall colors in the background, with the contrast of style against nature really working for me. :) Happiness!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It all came together at the end, didn't it? Thank you for your wonderful photography, for our collaboration and all the support of my ideas! <3 <3 <3

      Delete
  5. As an admirer of Art Deco myself, I can only applaud this month's theme! I love your unusual take on Art Deco with that fabulous jumpsuit worn with that sweet cape. I'm such a fan of capes like that. Oh, and that pendant. I really couldn't take my eyes off it. Such a stunning piece of jewellery. How wonderful to have received it as a gift, too. Lots of love, my fabolous friend xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad to "meet" a fellow Art Deco fan in you, Ann!
      Join us - it's such fun to play! Lots of love!

      Delete
  6. I love Art Deco! And I think you were right to focus on the streamlined shape and a few, select details to pay homage to Art Deco rather than going on full-on costume mode. This is such a great outfit, very modern but with a nod to Deco architecture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad that you appreciate my approach, Tiina! You have a wonderful artistic eye! I hope you'll get inspired to create an Art Deco outfit as well!

      Delete
  7. The Cincinnati Museum is spectacular! Those mosaics are fabulous! We're working at an Art Deco municipal building in London on Saturday and I'm already excited although it would take something pretty special to top the architecture in Mumbai!
    Love the jumpsuit and cape combo and clever you adding the pearls to the dainty necklace to give it a bit more oomph - Deco style is all about being a bit flash. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dearest Vicky! I'd love to see the Mumbai architecture, maybe I will revisit your blog and find out. <3

      Delete
  8. Loving the photos of the fabulous Cincinnati Museum! You look sleek in the jumpsuit and rich cape. I LOVE the Art Deco necklace, my favorite period for jewels !
    xoxo, Elle
    https://theellediaries.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I think of you every time I wear this gorgeous necklace, my dear Elle! <3

      Delete
  9. I too love the Art Deco period , The Cincinnati Museum looks spectacular . Your interpretation of Art Deco is just perfect, the striped jumpsuit and cape are a modern nod to the period .Your jewel necklace and long pearls , bag and patent heels bring it together brilliantly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad that you appreciated my play, my dear Jill! <3

      Delete
  10. Your Art-Deco-style is great, dearest Natalia -
    what an ingenious combination, your jumpsuit and your cape! And perfectly inspired by the beautiful Cincinnati Museum Center! Your jewelry is also gorgeous - and I especially like the gift of Elle! <3
    Hugs from here, Traude
    http://rostrose.blogspot.co.at/2017/11/island-kreuzfahrt-teil-10-gullfoss-der.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, lovely Traude, for your warm compliments and for joining the party! <3

      Delete
  11. I love your inspiring outfit, not only because I love Art Decó, but also because I love the way you created something inspired by it, geometric and elegant, beautifully designed, really in the spirit of Art Decó!
    I'm loving your jumpsuit, and it looks stunning with that cape, such fabulous proportions!, you look gorgeous!. And your accessorizing is brilliant too!!
    besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear Monica! I am so happy that you appreciated the idea and execution of this outfit! <3

      Delete